Metropolitan Granola Cookies
Metropolitan's granola is great for baking!
Yields 1 dozen large cookies or 3 dozen small cookies.
- 3/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup stone ground whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 and 1/3 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups Metropolitan Bakery granola
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and whole wheat flour. Stir in the oats. Cream together the butter with the sugars until light in color. Add the egg and vanilla. Mix until incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated. Fold in the granola. Place heaping tablespoons of cookie dough onto baking trays one inch apart and flatten cookies slightly.
- Place tray in the upper third of the preheated oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
Serve alone or with vanilla ice cream.
Baker's Tip: Most professional bakers use kosher salt for a cleaner salt flavor.
Baker's Tip: When creaming butter and sugar, use a stand mixer on medium speed. Butter should be soft but never melted. Stop after one minute and scrape down with a plastic paddle. Repeat a couple of times until sugar is completely dissolved. If you don't have a mixer, leave the butter out the night before (to prevent a sore arm)!
You don't have to be a master baker like Metropolitan's James Barrett to make delicious French-inspired delights at home. Here are several favorites—some savory, some sweet—adapted by James for the home chef.